Sunday, February 3, 2008

Birnam Wood


I received a note from a former student. He "messaged" me on AIM. He thanked me for the Communications class and told me that the interview I set up for him at Lourdes Hospital "set him up for life." He's been working there ever since and he is looking forward to going to school for radiology. It was nice to hear from him. It's nice to hear from all of them. They dim the bureaucracy.

I have entitled this entry "Birnam Wood" because the boy who "messaged" me is about eight feet tall and one day one of his classmates drew a picture of him and made him into a tree. As if that picture wasn't funny enough, the second student eventually drew a second picture. It was a complete casting for Macbeth starring various students and my big, tall, future radiologist was cast as Birnam Wood. Who says Shakespeare isn't important?

*In case you're rusty on your Shakespeare, Birnam Wood refers to the final battle scene of Macbeth where Macduff's forces dupe the betrayer king Macbeth by disguising themselves as trees.

1 comment:

richaa022 said...

That was my favorite part of Macbeth. I'm probably suppose to italicize that or something but I'm not really good at this whole blogging thing so sorry. I didn't really like Macbeth except for the part when that all disguised themselves as trees. Good idea on their part. But along this your former student I also love the communications course. It's set up to get you ready for the future, and I never would have had my college essay or resume done as quickly or efficiently without the class:)