Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Puritan Work Ethic


The New York school year is long. We won't be completely out of the building until 6/26. With a little more than four school weeks left I am in a constant state of being clenched. My beloved seniors are in the process of going on their mock interviews. I want them to do well, but I'm always worried about any unforeseen complications.

I've seen how these interviews can transform students. All of them deserve this experience.

Today one of my students came to see me before he went on his interview. I like talking to the students before they leave. They are excited, nervous. They look so nice all dressed up. The student who came to see me today told me that he borrowed clothes for the interview. I smiled and told him that he looked great.

I don't think he realizes it, but he made me very proud in that moment. He had a commitment, and he made good on it. He didn't complain. He didn't tell me that he couldn't do it. He just did it. He found a way to make things happen. He's a good boy with a good work ethic, and I know that he will have success in his life. Well done.

1 comment:

Derick said...

That person sounds familiar